Katy Perry (@KatyPerry) owns Twitter. There is simply no question about that. For quite some time now, she has had the largest number of followers on the platform ever with the figure now standing at a whopping 102 million. Let’s have a closer look at this tweeting legend’s account to see how she managed to climb to the top.
How did Katy Perry reach the top?
There is no doubt that her being one of the best divas the world has ever seen did indeed contribute to Katy Perry having her millions of fans. She is also an avid tweeter who has sent out over 8500 tweets, and counting.
thank you for still giving me the platform to sing, dance & feel with you around the world 🌎 I pray I never take this job for granted 🙏🏻❤️🎶
— KATY PERRY (@katyperry) June 19, 2017
That says a lot about her artistic appeal as Justin Bieber, who comes in second with 99.2 million followers has sent over 30,500 tweets and still can’t catch up to her.
Everyone listens when she speaks
There is a theory that you should maintain a decent follower-to-following ratio if you are to be ranked high on Twitter. That doesn’t apply to stars as it is a mostly one-sided conversation: they tweet, you read and react. Still, you can tell that everyone hangs on to Katy’s every word (she follows just 205 people) while stars like Bieber have to, somehow, return the favor to about 306,000 fans.
She can create her own trending news
Katy Perry and Taylor Swift (in 4th place with 85.4 million followers) were once the best of friends. They had even planned on creating some music together. But then, in 2014, things started going south between the two singers, and Twitter is where it all went down.
Watch out for the Regina George in sheep's clothing…
— KATY PERRY (@katyperry) September 9, 2014
Things recently went haywire in June when Swift released all her songs on Spotify… on the same day Katy Perry was scheduled to release Witness, her latest album. The furore that followed made her trending news on the social media platform – all thanks to her millions of fans and followers.
In other news: Taylor Swift putting all her music back on Spotify on Katy Perry release day? SHAAAAAADE.
— Juno Dawson (@junodawson) June 9, 2017
Twitter has been integral to the two artists, and the feud has no doubt built Katy’s account into the biggest one in the world. Remember that controversy always makes things interesting. If things online aren’t interesting… Why bother paying attention?
There are no limits to her talents
The fact that she has multiple talents and various ways of attracting undivided attention on a global scale helps her reign on Twitter. Confessional Week, for example – says a lot about how she stays in the limelight and helps increase her follower numbers. In June, 2017, Katy Perry opened her home and heart to her millions of fans for 96 hours. During those 4 days, she bared it all to anyone that would watch and listen to the live show. One of the ways she used to promote it, was a frequently used hashtag:
— KATY PERRY (@katyperry) June 11, 2017
What are Katy Perry’s best tweet stats?
Katy Perry’s Twitter stats make for an interesting read. Let’s have a look at a few of her impressive figures:
- Joined the platform: According to Twitter, Katy Perry has been on the social media platform since February of 2009.
- Most followers: Right now, the “Roar” singer has over 102 million followers. She is more than 3 million ahead of second place, Justin Bieber.
- An historic milestone: She made history in June 2017 when she hit the record-breaking milestone of 100 million followers. To put that in perspective, Katy Perry is the only person that has so far managed to surpass the 100 million followers mark.
Today, we #WITNESS history.
— Twitter (@Twitter) June 16, 2017
- Her own hashtags: Some of the popular hashtags that were retweeted regarding Katy Perry included: #roar, #KatyCats, #Prism, #ChainedToTheRhythm, #Rise, and #LoveKaty.
— KATY PERRY (@katyperry) February 22, 2017
- She is an influencer: Katy Perry is such an online influencer that her Super Bowl XLIX halftime show led to the creation of the #LeftShark hashtag after a bumbling backup dancer endeared himself to the watching crowds. An official line of Left Shark merchandise soon followed.
— KATY PERRY (@katyperry) March 2, 2015
- She still trends: Just recently, when fellow artist Pink sided with Katy Perry in the latter’s now very famous three-years-old feud with Swift, it didn’t create much of a online buzz for Pink. Instead, the trending name on Twitter was none other than Katy Perry herself. It seems that no matter what happens to her, or how people interact with her, as long as her name is involved she ends up trending on Twitter.
— Katy Perry Trending (@katyperrylizer) August 18, 2017
- Balanced engagement: When Katy Perry tweets her reach and engagement rates are so high, they would drive anyone jealous. Most of her tweets attract lots of likes. Here is one of her well-liked tweets; it has over 18,000 likes:
Most popular tweet
Katy Perry’s most popular tweet came during a moment of sadness. On May 22, 2017, a terrorist attacked a crowd leaving an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, UK. The bomb attack killed 23 people, including children, and injured 250 others. Like millions of people from across the world, Katy Perry sent out a message of condolence:
This, her most retweeted tweet, was re-sent over 71,000 times and liked over 162,000 times. As heartbreaking as the message and the reason behind it is, it still managed to spread across the world like none of her tweets ever had, or ever would.
The sheer number of followers she had carried her sombre message around the world for her. Now, unless you too happen to be a star that has a similar backing force to spread your message for you, it will take you a really, really long time to even get near that number of retweets.
You can cut through the waste of time and energy by using our Twitter Retweet Service and end up just as popular as the diva. While there may be some doubts about topping the list, there’s always hope for you. With careful planning you too can substantially increase your account’s numbers.
Best Twitter accounts: Katy Perry rise’s on Twitter
Katy Perry continues to rule the platform, and if trends are anything to go by, she will continue to roar for some time to come. Her art allows her to attract an ever-growing number of fans and she knows how to play the Twitter game which will continue to net her even more followers.