This article is going to teach you how to open a Twitter account, but I am going to go beyond the basics. I will show you a step-by-step approach to opening an account, and then look at some more advanced tactics that you can do to truly improve your Twitter experience.
Opening a Twitter account is easy, but becoming popular is hard. This is especially true if you do not know what you are doing; keep reading and I will teach you.
How to open a Twitter account
The first part of learning how to open a Twitter account is to actually sign up. You can do this by downloading the app, but I recommend that you start off by signing up using your computer. It is just a little bit more intuitive on the larger screen.
Follow these steps:
- In the top right-hand corner of Twitter.com you will see a button which says Sign up. Click that button.
- Enter a name, phone number or email address, and a password for your account.
- At the bottom of this screen you will see a link for Advanced Options. If you do not check this you will automatically allow anyone who has your email or phone number to find you on Twitter. Determine whether or not you want them to.
- Once you click sign-up you will be sent to a screen which asks you to enter your phone number. You can choose to skip this step if you want. If you accept, they will send a verification code to you through SMS.
- You now get to choose your username. All usernames are preceded by the @ symbol. Be sure to choose a username which is easy to remember. You’ll want to make it short as well.
- You are then sent to a brief explainer screen that is pretty pointless. Click on the ‘Let’s go’ button, and let’s go.
Basic Twitter account set up
- To help you get started on Twitter you are going to be asked for what you are interested in. Be aware that this will have future ramifications by suggesting accounts that you should follow. If you select what you are honestly interested in you will have an easier time finding Twitter influencer accounts that you would like to follow in the future.
- Twitter will now allow you to import your contacts from Gmail and Outlook. This can be a fast way to grow your Twitter followers as these are people you already know. Maybe they even like you enough to follow you!
- Based on the interests that you selected, Twitter will now suggest accounts that you should follow. Mine is absolutely off-base because I cannot stand Ellen. Unclick the ‘select all’ button and follow accounts that you are actually interested in.
- Twitter will ask you if you want to turn notifications on. Early in the life of your Twitter account you should have them on so that you know when people are trying to engage with you. Later on, when we make you popular, you may want to turn it off. They can get pretty hectic.
- You’ll then be shown what your timeline is, how to reply to tweets, how to retweet, and how to like a tweet. For anyone who has ever used any social media platform before, this is all pretty intuitive.
- Your timeline shows the tweets of people you follow.
- Replying to tweets is how you talk to people.
- Retweeting is sharing.
- Liking a tweet shows appreciation without doing anything significant.
And that is it as Twitter then casts you out into the wilderness to fend for yourself in the Twittersphere. I am going to do better for you right now, so keep reading.
How to open a Twitter account: Advanced options
You have already learned how to open a Twitter account. The problem is that it sucks. There are a few key things that you can do to improve your Twitter account.
First, you need to improve your profile image. Simply click on it in the top left, and select one from your camera roll or computer. The best image that you can select is going to be a close-up of your face, or a close-up of your logo/mascot if you are a brand. Here is a great example from Captain America:
Most people view Twitter on their phones. If your picture is not closely cropped people will not be able to make it out, and they will not be able to remember you.
Next you should work on your header image. Most people will find a nice big image that they enjoy, and stick it up there. But if you truly want to learn how to open a Twitter account that is successful, you should create a custom image that says a little bit more about you. Here is a great example from Warner Bros. Pictures as they hype an upcoming movie:
Customize both of these so that you will have a ‘brand’ on Twitter, and people will be able to remember you.
Your Twitter bio
Many people use their Twitter bio as a throwaway to say something sarcastic. Do better by letting people know what it is you enjoy, what you will be tweeting about, and anyone that you are associated with (such as your employer). You can also add your website, and your location.
The above examples are different routes that you can go. The important thing is to use your Twitter bio effectively, with a real goal you are trying to accomplish.
How to open a Twitter account quickly
With those steps taken care of your Twitter account is on its way. Now here is the trick to get it popular quickly:
- Create tweets about trending hashtags and topics. These are the most viral moments on Twitter, and you can earn some followers quickly from them. For example, #MotivationMonday trends every single Monday.
In the end, people will judge you anyway, so don't live your life impressing others. Live your life impressing yourself. #MOTIVATIONMONDAY
— Motivation Mob (@MotivationMob_) October 16, 2017
- Use our Twitter Retweet Service to blow up one of your tweets that is using a trending topic or hashtag. This will drive your tweet to the very top of the trending topics, much like this tweet for #WorldFoodDay. This person is getting tremendous exposure amongst anyone who’s interested in this trend.
Eradicating hunger isn't the burden of a few,but of the nation as a whole.Together we can ensure that noone goes to bed hungry#WorldFoodDay
— Jyotiraditya Scindia (@JM_Scindia) October 16, 2017
- With interest in your account growing, for understandable reasons, use our Twitter Follower Service to boost that number as well. Twitter accounts, especially new accounts, that have low numbers of followers are even more likely to be ignored. This Twitter hack will help you after you learn how to open a Twitter account properly.
- Continue doing this to slowly build your account more and more. You do not have to buy followers every time, but our Retweets Service, or even our ongoing Auto-Engagements service, will grow your account quickly.
This Twitter hack is even more effective than you may think. The services and the trending hashtags come together to actually grow your account at an exceptional rate. The key is to use these trending topics honestly by having something of value to contribute. Failing to do so can result in your account being muted, or even blocked.
Now you know how to open a Twitter account
Actually opening up your own Twitter account is relatively simple. Twitter is working hard at refining their on boarding process, and you can do it much easier now than in years past. What’s difficult is doing it well, because once you are done the signup process they cast you off on your own.
Here are the things that will help you be more successful:
- Look at the things that you can do to grow your account during the basic account set up, such as importing your email contacts. You may also want to turn notifications on so that you can quickly engage with people who are trying to speak to you.
- Make your account memorable by choosing the best profile and header images.
- Write an accurate bio which describes what you are interested in, and what you will tweet about.
- Use our various Twitter services, and trending hashtags in topics, to blow your Twitter account up quickly.
Open your Twitter account today and have fun talking to people from all over the world, see what celebrities are up to, enjoy Twitter, and don’t forget to send your first tweet!
I just signed on to Twitter today. Don't want it or need it, but don't wanna be out of the action!
— stan lee (@TheRealStanLee) August 13, 2009
What they do? My first day on TWITER! Im on tour right now and will be in Amarillo, TX tonight! Make sure your there!! – Pit
— Pitbull (@pitbull) April 16, 2009
first tweet. no followers. feel pretty good about it.
— chris pratt (@prattprattpratt) January 22, 2011
We can neither confirm nor deny that this is our first tweet.
— CIA (@CIA) June 6, 2014