Twitter is a powerful tool that you can use for online promotion of your art, goods, or services. But it is not all serious business. There are millions of people on the social media platform that simply tweet for fun. Whatever your reason for being on Twitter, you will always want to reach as many people on the platform as possible. The best way to do that is by using different sets of free Twitter tools.
The free Twitter tools which you will read about will be on par with the best premium tools out there. Start learning about them now to build your Twitter account.
17 Free Twitter tools to help your Twitter account
Tweet management tools help you plan your tweets in advance, and then tracks their performance. These free Twitter tools will help you with that.
Audiense will let you find the exact people who would be interested in your content. While the company makes products that mainly focus on large business marketing, they have a Free option as long as you keep your followed account numbers to under 5,000. Here’s what you can expect help with:
- Details about your followers which includes their geographic locations, languages, and interests.
- Ranking the influencer level of your followers.
- Letting you know when to tweet for maximum effectiveness.
- Offering you filter tools to narrow your target demographics.
- Enabling you to create communities among your followers.
- Making it easier for you to add/remove followers.
Audience is a trusted twitter tool that will help you get more followers.
TweetChat proudly states that it is the place “where the world comes to chat.” Once you get to their site, you type in the hashtag you are interested in and login using your Twitter account. You are led into a “room” that caters to chats surrounding your choice of hashtag. By using this tool you:
- Get to meet people that have something in common with you.
- Exchange ideas with tweeters from all over the world.
- Hold meetings where you can collaborate on topics and projects.
- Have your own room to discuss your own ideas without interruption or distractions.
- Hold a small space on the Internet where only you and your followers can hang out.
The main advantage in using a shared Twitter room is that you can cut out a lot of the outside noise so you can run a better chat.
The biggest advantage to using bit.ly is being able to gather information on your tweets’ click and success rates. Other essential feedback includes:
- Statistics about popularity, retweets, and clicks.
- Analytics on the people who interact with your tweets.
- Campaign success results in one spot.
- Insights that will allow you to tweak your campaign to get even better results
A side bonus of using bit.ly is that it can shorten your links. They will still count for 23 characters, as is the Twitter standard, but they will look short and neat.
HootSuite is a freemium application limited to 5 accounts. No matter how many accounts you use it features an amazing dashboard that can do wonders for your Twitter campaign:
- Time saving by allowing you to work with multiple accounts from one dashboard.
- Analytics on positive and negative sentiments from your followers.
- Stats that show information like follower growth and their content preferences.
- Scheduling for auto-tweeting.
- Integration with other social media platforms.
- The ability to create streams on topics or hashtags.
This set of tools was specifically designed for you to manage your engagement with your followers and other tweeters on the platform. It is perhaps the most popular free Twitter tool of all.
Trending Twitter tools
In this section of free Twitter tools, we will have a look at those that focus on the trending of hashtags. This will help you stay on top trends so that you can join in on the conversation.
Do you ever wonder what keywords are trending right now in any country or even city in the world? Trendsmap will let you see for yourself. With such detailed information you can:
- Find out who is talking about what and where.
- Send out tweets that are aimed at the locale you want to target.
- Come up with tweets that will blend in with the conversations being held there.
- Promote your goods and services in the areas where they will be most accepted.
If you want to aim your campaign at a specific demographic or locale, then this is one of the best free Twitter tools you will want to use to find something to tweet about.
Find out how well a hashtag is trending overall using this free Twitter tool. With Hashtagify, you can drill down into related hashtags and their performance over a week or month. The analytical map will draw you a picture of how your hashtags of choice are performing and help you in.
- Choosing the hashtags you need to focus on.
- Related hashtags that you can use or experiment with.
- New ideas that are still within your realm.
- Totally new concepts that you had thought you could tweet about.
It is a fascinating tool not only for learning about Twitter, but for learning what the world is talking about.
This is more of a website and the tool but it will still show you a graph on the use of certain hashtags you choose. You will also get a report on which tweeters use the hashtag most and the most recent tweets that were sent out using it. Other useful features from Hashtags.org include:
- Graphs and charts that easily let you know how your chosen hashtag is performing and how popular it is.
- Closely related hashtags that you can use in combination with your main one.
- Recent tweets to help you join conversations or send out retweets.
- The people who use the hashtag and that you can follow.
- How popular your hashtag is within a certain amount of time.
Keep the site bookmarked and check back frequently.
If you are looking for ideas on what hashtags to use, these tools will help you find trending conversations.
If you’re familiar with SEO and keywords, then this tool will help you do the same research for your hashtags. It will help you identify analytical information on ideal hashtags, how often they are used, and how well people interact with them. Other useful data from RiteTag includes:
- See the number of unique tweets, retweets, and exposure per hour or even per month.
- Find out how many tweets using the hashtag had images in them.
- Analyse whether the tweets sent out contained links or mentions.
- Discover what hashtags you need to use to be seen immediately or over time.
- Send out automated or scheduled tweets.
RiteTag is a very powerful tool that you can use to plan your Twitter campaign. It is certainly one of the the best free Twitter tools in this list.
Get instant information on who is using your hashtag of choice. Use this tool to see data on likes, impressions, posts, and reach. Learn from the experts by having a peek at the top tweets. By typing in a keyword, you get data showing:
- How many times your hashtag was used, by how many users, and how many times it was retweeted.
- A list of the most popular tweets using the hashtag.
- Related hashtags and keywords in a word cloud format so you can see it all clearly.
- The most influential and recent users, which sites they used the tweets on, and their locations.
What makes KeyHole.co awesome is that all the data is presented in formats that are easy to consume.
This is an app from MOZ.com that lets you find people with a particular hashtag in their profile or bio. Although the free account only allows you to register and work with only one of your Twitter accounts, it still delivers amazing results. You will be able to:
- Look through other tweeters’ bios to find the exact people you are looking for.
- Search Twitter profiles to find people that share interests with you.
- Use the data to finde influencers in one particular field.
- See the breakdown of your followers and find out when they are most active.
- Comparisons that show how you are performing.
- Analyze other people’s accounts.
Followerwonk is a tool you will need to use when you want to have a clearer picture about other people’s accounts in relation to yours.
Do you want to find out what people are talking about the most today? Just go to Hash and you will get the latest news items that have grabbed the headlines across the world. You can use this information for:
- Sending out relevant tweets that touch on current issues and topics.
- Use hashtags that are trending right now to make your tweets be seen.
- Get an idea about what you should be tweeting about right now.
- Discover news items that you can use in your Twitter campaign.
Hash is good for people looking to send out relevant tweets that will reach a worldwide audience.
This is another tool from Twitter. On the Twitter Analytics dashboard you get instant data showing you how your tweets are performing. It allows you to analyze critical information like:
- How many impressions your tweets got
- The best performing tweets you sent out
- Clicks on any links you may have included in your tweets
- Any likes or retweets you may have earned
Twitter has done very well with this tool, you pretty much have to use it along with one of the other tools listed here.
Often enough the origin of a hashtag gets lost in all the tweets that are sent out every single second. If you want to quote the source, you will need First Tweet. It will allow you to do research on:
- Who first used to a particular tweet.
- What the original story was in case it evolved into something it shouldn’t have.
- When someone was mentioned on Twitter for the first time.
- Why a particular hashtag came into being – this is especially useful if you don’t know the exact meaning of the hashtag.
This tool can be a bit of a time suck, don’t let it distract you!
This is another exception tool for those who want to get familiar with the Twitter-sphere on a global basis. Detailed information you get from Social Bearing includes:
- Number of tweets sent out recently containing your hashtag.
- Stats like impressions and retweets.
- Graphs showing stats regarding sentiment, tweet types, sources, and the domains that shared it most.
- Kkeywords you can use to give your tweets more reach.
With Social Bearing you will have all the information you need to make the right decisions regarding your Twitter campaign.
Other free Twitter tools
ManageFlitter is a free tool that will let you work on your Twitter account and help you clean your account up. You can use it to:
- Unfollow fake or inactive accounts, as well as those that belong to people that aren’t following you back.
- Find people that match your profile or share similar interests.
- Send out posts at the best time for maximum effect.
- Post recurring messages that you want mixed in among your other posts.
ManageFlitter is a nifty tool that will help you get ahead in your Twitter campaign. It’s light, but it is effective.
Social media is about being social. The unwritten rule on Twitter is that if someone follows you, you are expected to follow them back. With the exception of public figures, the rest of us mere mortals should all make an effort to obey this rule.
— Twitter (@Twitter) July 1, 2016
Katy is not on Team Followback…
With Crowdfire you can follow people en masse. After a couple of days or weeks, you can use it again to see who hasn’t followed you back. Then, with one click, you can unfollow them. Keep repeating the process until you have the optimal number of followers. This allows you to:
- Send tweets out to relevant people.
- Lead traffic back to your products or website.
- Establish yourself as an influencer.
While this is the major function of Crowdfire, you will be surprised to know that it can do analytics on your account to suggest whom you should and shouldn’t follow.
SocialOomph advertises itself as a tool that will boost your social media productivity. Some of the useful features of this free Twitter tool include:
- Receive emails informing you about the performance of hashtags you choose.
- Keep track of mentions and retweets.
- Keep your Twitter account organized by deleting DMs and unwanted tweets.
- Save tweet drafts for later use.
- Shorten URLs.
This tool is quite amazing and lets you do all this plus more with up to five of your Twitter accounts.
Free Twitter tools & how you can use them
The 17 free Twitter tools that we have seen above cover everything that you will need to do from the start to the end of your campaign:
- Finding trending keywords and hashtags
- Manage your accounts
- Where people are tweeting from
- How well your tweets are performing
- Analytics so you can see the big picture
- Find ways to improve your social proof
You will need to mix and match these free tools a little bit to meet your needs. You’d be wise to choose one that will allow you to schedule tweets in advance, and then combine that with specialty tools that will maximize your success.